Principal - Dr. Tanaz Bruna
Dear Tulita Families:
Welcome to the 2020-21 school year! I am excited to kick off what I know will be a successful and rewarding year for all. I hope you and your families enjoyed a nice summer vacation filled with rest and relaxation. I also hope you got some time to getaway and enjoy the sunshine while social distancing, of course. Most importantly, I hope you and your family are healthy and ready to jump into distance learning until we can be together in person safely. I am thrilled to return for my seventh year as principal of Tulita Elementary, a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence. I am grateful to continue to be surrounded by a dedicated, intelligent, and loving school community. Our staff has been working hard preparing for a strong start to distance learning, building on the successes and achievements of last spring, and looking forward to a time where our students are back on campus in person.
To our new families, welcome to Tulita! In addition to extending a warm welcome, it is our tradition to encourage our new families to get involved. This year is no exception. Although the landscape may look a little different, the need for your support and involvement remains unchanged. This year, more than ever before, your children need you to be an active participant in their education and school. We look forward to a time when we can invite you on to the campus for the many volunteer opportunities we offer. Until then, we implore you to stay connected to Tulita through our many forms of communication to our families.
Over the summer, we had little staffing changes. The Tulita team is proud to welcome Ms. Nicole Goya, Speech and Language Pathologist. Ms. Goya is a former Tulita staff member as she had previously served in the role of Instructional Assistant. Welcome, Ms. Goya! We said goodbye to Ms. Susanne Conners, Instructional Assistant, Ms. Debra Anderson, Instructional Assistant, and Ms. Susan Wetzel, Speech and Language Pathologist. Our goals as a school year continue to be to build resiliency and the growth mindset in our students, especially under the circumstances we’re in. Teaching our students to have grit when faced with adversity is an important lesson and we’re proud to partner with you as we support our students.
If you did not watch the video I emailed out last week with information on Tulita’s reopening plan, please click here to view. Our teachers look forward to focusing all their energies on designing lessons and units of study to engage, challenge and grow our students. As we begin the 20-21 school year in distance learning, you will see a very structured approach to remote learning and teaching. Students will follow a daily class schedule, there will be attendance taking, traditional grading will be resume, and they will engage daily in instruction with their teachers. Too, our staff will be quite busy designing engaging lessons for your children and participating in ongoing professional development as we strive to ensure all within the Tulita and RBUSD community are treated equally and fairly with respect, kindness, and empathy.
I ask all of our families to help us in three small ways. First, show your appreciation to our wonderful teachers and staff whenever you can. Second, become involved in the PTA. Your membership in the PTA is critical, but your time and talent go much farther. PTA needs our support more than ever as they work to provide enriching activities to our students through digital mediums. Third, give to the Redondo Beach Ed Foundation, if possible. Thanks to RBEF, we continue to have music in our schools, physical education teachers, and much more!
Below are some important upcoming dates for you to note. In addition, optional supply lists have been uploaded to our website. Click here to view.
- Friday, August 21st: Class list will be emailed to families by 3:00 pm.
- Monday, August 24th : Distance Learning Material Distribution Day (see flyer on next page or attached)
- Wednesday, August 26th : 1st Day of School (Information about the first day of school procedures will be emailed to you by your child’s teacher prior to the 1st day of school)
- Wednesday, September 2nd: 1st PTA Meeting @ 10 am
- Wednesday , September 9th : Virtual Back to School Night
“The only way out is through”, and we will get through this time that we face together. It won’t always be easy and will take some work. What will make it work best is flexibility, positivity and an understanding of the complexity of each other’s collective circumstances. Our school’s goal has always been to have students learn, grow and thrive be flexible & positive. That goal continues now as much as we can make possible in theses unprecedented times. I feel incredibly blessed to be at Tulita again this year and I am looking forward to another amazing year, focused on improving student learning, social-emotional growth, and strengthening our commitment to the community. Please email/call if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your commitment to the Tulita learning community. Once again, welcome to the new school year! Remember, the first day of school is Wednesday,
August 26, 2020.
Here’s to an outstanding year!
Tanaz Bruna, Ed.D.
Principal, Tulita Elementary
- Educational Doctorate, Ed.D., University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 2014
- Master’s Degree, Education, M.Ed., California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA 2003
- Bachelor of Arts, Communication Studies, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA 1999
- California Clear Multiple Subject Credential/CLAD
- California Administrative Services Credential, Tier II
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE IN EDUCATION
- Principal, Tulita Elementary School - Redondo Beach Unified School District (7/14 - present)
- 2017 Redondo Beach Unified School District Administrator of the Year
- 2019 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
- Coordinator, Educational Services – Redondo Beach Unified School District (8/12 – 6/14)
- Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA) – Adams Middle School, Redondo Beach Unified School District (8/11-7/12)
- Principal, High School Summer Session – Redondo Union High School/Redondo Beach Education Foundation (Summer 2011/Summer 2012)
- Teacher/Program Coordinator- Redondo Union High School, Redondo Beach Unified School District (9/10– 6/11)
- Teacher- Alta Vista Elementary, Redondo Beach Unified School District (9/08– 2010)
- Outreach Consultant –Ontario-Montclair School District (12/05– 8/08)
- Teacher – Elderberry Elementary, Ontario –Montclair School District (1/7/01 – 11/05)
Phone: (310) 798-8628
Follow me on social media to keep up with all the great things happening at Tulita - @TanazBruna (Twitter)