Principal - Dr. Tanaz Bruna
PRINCIPAL'S WEEKLY MESSAGE
Dear Tulita Families,
Welcome to the 2019-20 school year! I hope you and your families enjoyed a relaxing summer vacation filled with rest and leisure activities. I am thrilled to return for my sixth year as principal of Tulita Elementary and am grateful to continue to be surrounded by a dedicated, intelligent, and loving school community at the forefront of whole child education. For those families new to the Tulita community, I would like to extend a very special welcome. Our dedicated staff has been working hard preparing for another amazing school year, building on the successes and achievements of last year.
Recently, a research firm called Niche, publicly ranked Tulita Elementary as #18 in BEST public elementary schools in the entire state and also ranked Tulita teachers as the #2 BEST public elementary school teachers in California. I am proud of the hard work our staff puts in each day to ensure that (y)our students excel. I am certain your child(ren)’s academic career at Tulita will be both prosperous and enjoyable. As our returning families are aware, we strive to ensure every child feels welcomed, connected, and a part of the Tulita family, providing the high-quality education that our students deserve.
While most of you kicked off the summer with vacation plans, the staff and I were planning and preparing for this upcoming school year. Over the summer, we had a few bittersweet goodbyes with some of our staff members and welcomed new staff to our team. The Tulita team is proud to welcome Ms. Danielle Liptak, Administrative Assistant, and Ms. Brandy Murray, Health Office Assistant. Over the summer we said goodbye to our beloved Debbie Collette, Administrative Assistant for over 23 years at Tulita, who officially retired. We also said goodbye to Ms. Arielle Pittluck, Speech and Language Pathologist. Ms. Pittluck moved to the Bay Area over the summer and will continue working as a Speech Pathologist there. We are currently working with our Special Education Department in order to replace Ms. Pittluck at Tulita. This will not affect any students currently receiving speech services and our team will ensure students will continue with therapy when school begins.
As you walk your child to the playground on the first day of school, you will notice a fresh blacktop with brand new asphalt. Our parking lot and lunch areas also got new asphalt over the summer. We also have a new Ga Ga Ball Pit coming for our students thanks to our wonderful PTA. In your child’s classroom you will notice that the obsolete Promethean boards have been replaced with flat LCD projection screens. I want to thank Mr. Richard and Mr. Freddy, our custodians, for all their hard work with summer cleaning, getting our campus ready for the new school year.
Our goals as a school this year continue to be to build resiliency and the growth mindset in our students. We will be focusing on strengthening our current instructional programs and providing strategic intervention when necessary for our students. In a few short weeks, we hope to celebrate our school community with a special announcement. Stay tuned for this.
I ask all of our families to help us in three small ways. First, show your appreciation to our wonderful teachers and staff whenever you can. Second, become involved in the PTA. Your membership in the PTA is critical, but your time and talent go much farther. We have some exciting PTA events and programs planned this year that can only work if everyone pitches in to help. Third, give to the Redondo Beach Ed Foundation, if possible (Investor Drive flyer attached). Thanks to RBEF, we continue to have ongoing teacher release time for collaboration, a college going culture, music, and STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math) related activities at all RBUSD schools!
Lastly, I ask all of our families to make the commitment to become involved in at least ONE activity or event this school year. Multiple studies show that committed and connected parents produce high achieving students.
I feel incredibly blessed to be at Tulita again this year and I am looking forward to another amazing year, focused on improving student learning, social-emotional growth, and strengthening our commitment to the community. Please stop in to see me or email/call if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you for your commitment to the Tulita learning community.
Have a great school year!
Tanaz Bruna, Ed.D.
Principal, Tulita Elementary
- Educational Doctorate, Ed.D., University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 2014
- Master’s Degree, Education, M.Ed., California Lutheran University, Thousand Oaks, CA 2003
- Bachelor of Arts, Communication Studies, Sonoma State University, Rohnert Park, CA 1999
- California Clear Multiple Subject Credential/CLAD
- California Administrative Services Credential, Tier II
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE IN EDUCATION
- Principal, Tulita Elementary School - Redondo Beach Unified School District (7/14 - present)
- 2017 Redondo Beach Unified School District Administrator of the Year
- 2019 National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence
- Coordinator, Educational Services – Redondo Beach Unified School District (8/12 – 6/14)
- Teacher on Special Assignment (TOSA) – Adams Middle School, Redondo Beach Unified School District (8/11-7/12)
- Principal, High School Summer Session – Redondo Union High School/Redondo Beach Education Foundation (Summer 2011/Summer 2012)
- Teacher/Program Coordinator- Redondo Union High School, Redondo Beach Unified School District (9/10– 6/11)
- Teacher- Alta Vista Elementary, Redondo Beach Unified School District (9/08– 2010)
- Outreach Consultant –Ontario-Montclair School District (12/05– 8/08)
- Teacher – Elderberry Elementary, Ontario –Montclair School District (1/7/01 – 11/05)
Phone: (310) 798-8628
Follow me on twitter to keep up with all the great things happening at Tulita - @TanazBruna